Listening to your character with Lavinia Hart
Mondays, April 19 - May 24 (six-week series)
Sliding scale, $50-$150
Michael Chekhov was fond of saying “There is no art without joy.” We invite you to participate in a workshop that promises joy in every session! Michael Chekhov developed a set of skills for actors to use creatively. The skills allow you to tap with ease into a universe of human experience far beyond one’s own bank of sense memories. This workshop is an introduction to several of the skills in Michael Chekhov’s approach to acting:
* Atmosphere can open a path to playing an objective.
* Tempos and Polarities.
* How Qualities of Movement and Finding Body Centers are revealed through physical experimentation
* Psychological Gestures give you an inner to outer connection with the character and imaginary scene partner.
* Three Inner Sensations wake up and feed the immediacy of your character’s “need”.
* Build a picture file in which images of your character can inform your life body.
Students should come prepared with a monologue (under two minutes) from a living playwright. No need to be
off-book at the top of the workshop. Choose a character you were born to play. Performances will take place in the final session of the workshop.