Connect with Us
The Northwest Ten Festival of Ten-Minute Plays returns in 2017 for the ninth year running, continuing on its mission to become the premiere ten-minute play festival of the Pacific Northwest. Winning submissions will be produced as a part of the Northwest Ten Festival at Oregon Contemporary Theatre in Eugene, March 24 - April 2, 2017.
The title of this year’s show, “Northwest Ten: Number 9,” not only recognizes the festival’s ninth anniversary but also refers to the iconic Beatle’s track “Revolution 9.” Seizing on this connection, the producers are asking playwrights to include one line from a Beatles song in their plays. “We thought we’d have some fun with this,” said NW10 co-executive producers Connie Bennett and Paul Calandrino. “It’s easy to insert one line from a Beatles lyric in any play. And it will be a kind of intriguing game for the audience to pick out the lines during the performance.”
Script submissions for the NW10 Festival are being accepted now through October 31, 2016. Please use the following guidelines:
- Open to residents of Oregon, Washington state, and British Columbia.
- Scripts must be original, unpublished, and not produced in the Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, or B.C.) at the time of submission. (Plays may have received previous workshop readings.)
- Exclusive of title and cast pages, scripts must be 10 pages or less, with a run time of 8-10 minutes. Plays with small casts and minimal technical requirements are preferred.
- Specific to Submissions for 2017: In alignment with the show’s theme – “Northwest Ten: Number 9” – your play MUST INCLUDE ONE (AND ONLY ONE) LINE FROM ANY BEATLES SONG. The line from the song must be intrinsic to the dialogue of your play, not a character quoting the Beatles song.
-Send entries to: NW10Festival@gmail.com with the subject "NW10 Submission." Submissions must be sent as an attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF format only; no hard copy submissions will be accepted.
- Submissions must be formatted as follows:
+ Email must contain the play's title, author's name, address, phone number, and email address. The email must also contain the line from the Beatles song used in the play and the name of the song.
+ The playwright’s name cannot appear anywhere on the attached script, including the title page, header/footer areas, or within the text.
+ The first page of the script must contain the title, list of characters, and basic setting information.
+ The second page will be considered the first page of the script. The other pages of the play follow.
+ Include the title and page numbers in the header of each page of the submission.
+ All submissions must be in a standard professional play format. Format guidelines can be found at http://ptfaculty.gordonstate.edu/lking/CPF_play_f...
- Limited to one submission per playwright.
- Playwrights consent to permit Northwest Ten & Oregon Contemporary Theatre to produce their play if selected. There is a $75 honorarium for each play selected for production. Playwrights retain copyright and full ownership of their plays.
- Plays will be staged for two weekends in Spring 2017 at Oregon Contemporary Theatre in Eugene, Oregon.
- Deadline: Submissions must be received on or before October 31, 2016. Only the first 100 submissions will be considered. Playwrights will be notified immediately if their submissions arrive after the cutoff date or the submission cap has been reached.
Auditions for the NW10 Festival are usually held in late January. More information is posted on the OCT website and in local papers when auditions are scheduled.
In 2015, Northwest Ten expanded its mission to become the premiere ten-minute play festival of the Pacific Northwest. In 2016, the festival broadened its submission requirements to include playwrights residing in British Columbia along with playwrights from Oregon and Washington state.
Questions? Email NW10Festival@gmail.com.
© Copyright Oregon Contemporary Theatre. All rights reserved.